Senior Network Engineer (Research and Development) - Calgary, AB
Pason is the leading global provider of specialized data management systems for land-based and offshore rigs worldwide. Our rental solutions, which include data acquisition, wellsite reporting, remote communications, and web-based information management, enable collaboration between the rig and the office.
Pason’s energized and focused work environment empowers each team member to push the envelope of traditional thinking to create new solutions to old problems. We place considerable focus on a culture that nurtures imagination in an atmosphere where people are free to perform to their fullest potential in an open and friendly environment.
The Pason R&D team provides a full range of network, infrastructure and application support to our internal (office and remote), and external customers located worldwide. Our efforts ensure highly available applications and infrastructure, allowing our customers to operate efficiently, effectively and securely. Just a few of the operating systems, infrastructure, and applications that we support include: Windows, Linux, VMware, NetApp, Cisco and HP routing and switching, Active Directory, Exchange, SharePoint, Microsoft Dynamics SL, NetBackup, Tivoli Storage Manager. We also provision and maintain customer utilized network infrastructure consisting of VSAT terminals and leading edge cellular data technologies.
Pason is seeking a Senior Network Engineer (Research and Development) to design and develop a high availability core network that connects to the rig sites via wireless wide area network (WAN) for the drilling industry. In addition, the Network Engineer will participate in the feature enhancements and optimization of all network hardware, software, and communication links. You will also work with internal teams and external customers to analyze and resolve network hardware, software, and performance problems in a timely and accurate fashion, and provide user training and documentation where required.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Key contributor to a team responsible for design, improvement, and maintenance of a large scale core network while ensuring architecture, integrity and security of the network
- Undertake projects addressing network issues, improving network troubleshooting and monitoring capabilities, benchmarking and improving network performance, and design/develop new network features
- Document problems, procedures, and activities associated with the network configuration, connectivity, hardware, and providing proven resolutions
- Provide recommendations and participate in cross departmental work groups to identify and resolve provisioning issues and service problems
Essential Job Requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or Computer Engineering
- Certifications: CCNA (required), CCNP or CCIE preferred
- 7+ years of related job experience or equivalent
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Advanced industry knowledge in network design (servers, firewalls, protocols, topologies), TCP/IP protocol suite, ARP, routing, subnetting, Ethernet switching, spanning-tree, network security, VLAN’s, QoS, OSI model and Linux firewalls, DNS, SMTP, IPv6, EIGRP, BGP4, OSPF, NHRP, PPP, MPLS, IPSEC/GRE VPN tunnels
- Knowledge of wireless WAN solutions especially satellite and cellular. Familiarity with WAN optimization is a plus
- Extensive hands-on networking experience with designing, configuring, and maintaining large scale networks
- Industry experience with Cisco networking equipment
- Passionate about IT, stay in touch with the latest technologies, and strong analytical and problem solving skills
- The ability to work with minimal supervision, self motivate, take ownership of an area of operations, identify issues, and work independently
- Excellent communication skills (with internal and external customers and vendors) via phone, email, and in person; fluent verbal and written English communication
Working at Pason
Pason promotes a healthy lifestyle within and outside the workplace. Employees enjoy the following benefits:
- Competitive base salary compensation, discretionary performance bonus, and a comprehensive benefit program
- Access to onsite amenities such as fitness and workout rooms; Pilates and yoga classes
- Foosball, ping-pong, and an outdoor ball hockey area
- Free parking and bicycle storage
- Summer barbeques and other Pason-sponsored social and community activities held throughout the year
Return to Canada Opportunities