Senior Database Developer - Calgary, AB
Pason is the leading global provider of specialized data management systems for land-based and offshore rigs worldwide. Our rental solutions, which include data acquisition, wellsite reporting, remote communications, and web-based information management, enable collaboration between the rig and the office.
Pason’s energized and focused work environment empowers each team member to push the envelope of traditional thinking to create new solutions to old problems. We place considerable focus on a culture that nurtures imagination in an atmosphere where people are free to perform to their fullest potential in an open and friendly environment.
The Pason DataHub is a highly secure web application used by drilling engineers and geologists to remotely manage their drilling operations in real-time. The DataHub team works across Pason’s web technology stack with a particular focus on delivering exceptional user experience while maintaining the DataHub’s high-availability and scalability. The DataHub team works both independently and in teams, and they take pride in their commitment to excellence.
A Senior Database Developer on the DataHub participates with an agile development team responsible for new product development and enhancements to existing products. The candidate will work closely with software developers, product owners, architects, user experience specialists, and quality assurance professionals to ensure timely delivery of commercial grade web and mobile applications. Successful candidates have a passion for technologies that are based on large scale multi-tenant database architecture.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Working with an agile development team and using a variety of technologies to develop features and functionality for our core DataHub product, with a focus on performance optimization and development at the data access layer
- Participating in all aspects of the software development process, including requirements definition (user stories), high-level designs, sizing and estimating exercises, code reviews, documentation and testing
- Working with the Product Management, Quality Assurance, and User Experience teams to deliver features and functionality that provide exceptional user experience
- Writing unit tests for developed functionality and generally supporting the necessary infrastructure for a highly productive and effective modern software team
- Mentoring other developers in design techniques and best practices for relational database development
Essential Job Requirements
A Bachelor’s degree in Software Engineering, Computer Science or Computer Engineering
8+ years of commercial product database development using industry-standard software development .processes and technologies
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Proficiency with relational databases such as MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQLServer or Oracle
- Proficiency with complex distributed systems, load balancing and high availability solutions
- Strong understanding of hardware performance, memory and I/O
- Experience in at least one modern object oriented programming language such as Java or C++
- Experience in Agile development methodologies such as Scrum and XP
- Experience in coaching, mentoring and leadership to enhance the capabilities and skills of a team
- Familiarity with cloud computing platforms an asset
- Familiarity with drilling rig operation and oil and gas exploration and production an asset
- Familiarity with Atlassian tools such as JIRA, GreenHopper, and Confluence an asset
Working at Pason
Pason promotes a healthy lifestyle within and outside the workplace. Employees enjoy the following benefits:
- Competitive base salary compensation, discretionary performance bonus, and a comprehensive benefit program
- Access to onsite amenities such as fitness and workout rooms; Pilates and yoga classes
- Foosball, ping-pong, and an outdoor ball hockey area
- Free parking and bicycle storage
- Summer barbeques and other Pason-sponsored social and community activities held throughout the year
Return to Canada Opportunities